Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Year's (Late) Resolutions

It's a little late to be making New Year's Resolutions, isn't it? And yet here we are.

I love writing. It's why I'm starting this blog. It's why I write novels in my spare time and neglect my homework to dream about worlds that don't exist. I've even dabbled in the land of poetry from time to time. However, one impressive form evades me.

Short stories. Every time I'm assigned a short story for school, I get really excited -- after all, it's just like a novel, right? Only shorter. Right?

Wrong. Very wrong.

Made with weavesilk.com and pixlr


Short stories are one of the hardest forms of fiction to master because every word counts. No lavish descriptions, little time for backstory, and no dawdling. Given that I like to make life harder for myself, I decided that I need to spend time mastering this art form. This morning, I decided I needed to make a blog about it and invite people to join me on this wickedly hard challenge that just popped into my head.

Yes. I said this morning. I don't spend a lot of time waiting.

And since I don't spend a lot of time waiting, here's my idea: write one short story each month of the year, starting this January, and ending in December. We'll go through different genres and word lengths, hopefully refining our techniques and discovering our voices as we go.

I say 'we' and 'our' because I assume there are people out there crazy enough to join me on this venture.

The inspiration for this sudden inspiration came from a article called "Storyville: Why Write Short Stories At All?" that I found online. (I'll stick the link at the end of this post.) I strongly recommend reading the entire thing so you can get an idea of what I'm getting myself (and possibly you) into.

I'm a college student. I don't have a lot of time on my hands. But given that all told, a short story can take only 10-20 hours to write (citing another excellent article which I will also link to below), I think this is doable.

Anybody with me?

https://litreactor.com/columns/storyville-why-write-short-stories-at-all
http://thewritepractice.com/how-to-write-a-short-story/

No comments:

Post a Comment