Monday, February 1, 2016

February's Challenge: Romance

I did indeed complete the January challenge. Made it by the skin of my teeth. It’s posted on Wattpad. Now that I know that I can in fact complete a short story, I think I’m ready to add some limitations and challenges. Which brings us to…


Romance.

Flower shot from www.torange.us


I’m going to be honest: I’ve never written straight romance before. Mushy gushy is not really my thing. That being said, mushy gushy is probably not what I’m going to go for. Romance doesn’t have to have a happily ever ending. If that’s what you want to write, go ahead. I admire your ability.


My biggest problem with romance is that I’ve never actually experienced it. I observe, of course (being a writer is an awesome excuse for being a spy), but it’s such a close, personal thing that it’s hard to get right. Even so, I’ll try to come up with some tips for everyone involved in this, including myself.

1. Watch out for cliches. 
Holy moly, there are so many romantic cliches out there. Try to avoid hyper-sexualization -- you know, the perfect abs, the flawless skin, etc. etc. Very few people actually have those, and how likely do you think it is that two of those mythical creatures will actually meet each other? I mean, maybe at a convention for unnaturally beautiful people…

2. Romance isn’t built in a day.
I’m getting kind of tired of stories where people meet and fall in love over a week. I guess that happens. Sometimes. Maybe. But it sure hasn’t happened to me, and I haven’t seen it happening to most of the people I know. (Granted, I know one person it happened to. They are extraordinarily lucky and no I am not jealous at all, why did you ask?)

3. Leave advice in the comments. 
This is a legit tip. I need help, people.


Well, there you have it. I cannot stress enough the importance of leaving tips in the comments. Really. Even if you’ve never been in a romantic relationship before, any and all tips are helpful. Maybe I’ll compile them and put them in the next blog post.


Happy writing, and make sure to share your work with me on Wattpad if you so wish!

3 comments:

  1. I think the biggest mistake people make in romance is having the two people in question always happy with each other. Their is rarely conflict and its all intimate stuff that a lot of people don't won't to read (me included) Romance isn't roses and candlelight dinner's and bedtime people. It's a commitment to live together for better or for worse, meaning that there's gonna be some conflict. For this challenge I think I'll write about a man and wife at odds with each other and how they get through it. Yup. That's my version of romance.
    (By the way i'm loving your blog, its hard to find good writing blogs out there that actually are interesting to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right. Happy scenes are great here and there, but I get really annoyed at those "perfect couples." (In real life as well as in literature.) We authors prefer to ruin people's lives, not make them better. }:) Glad you're enjoying the blog!

      Delete
    2. My story ended up being about a girl actually turning down a guy's request. So yeah....not typical either.

      Delete