Sunday, May 29, 2016

Writing Ramblings and a Peek Inside My Brain

This is my first post as a blogger, and I'm going to copy Faith in the sense that it's about my writing journey, but I don't want to focus on it, because writing isn't the only part of my life that's relatively interesting.

I don't actually know how old I was when I started writing.  Probably around nine, although I know I was writing stories about people named Bob and cats doing interesting things.  I do know, however, that my first writing was drastically limited by my spelling skills (hence the vast amounts of cats and dogs.  I mean, how would I know how to spell "wombat" at the age of six?).  I used writing to grow my imaginary world, which has been called My Own Little World since I was three.  It's much bigger now, with complex Alternate Universes and lots of different outcomes within those universes.  How do I keep it all straight?  I don't.  My writing is still mostly an outlet for this world, although I sometimes have separate stories set in other worlds.  Or this one.  Or Mars.  Or wherever the heck I feel like putting a story.  

Now I would spend this blog post describing my mind palace in detail, but 1) you don't want to hear about it, and 2) I want to talk about other more interesting things.  Like my obsession with history, rainy days, research, J.R.R. Tolkien, and other authors who have long since left this planet (my last post as a guest has a little more about this).  

I am a history geek, and I'm that weird friend who likes writing essays and doing research.  I read biographies for fun, and get ridiculously exciting when I find a primary source.  Along with my love for history comes my love for classic literature.  Faith can tell you a lot about this.  When she began to create this year's summer reading list, she was looking up countless new novels and I was suggesting countless old ones.  I mean, how can you improve on perfection?  Granted, not every old book is good, just like not every new book is good, but in my experience, I prefer an older style.  

In comes J.R.R. Tolkien.  More specifically, Middle-Earth and everything about it.  I would not consider myself a geek yet, as I've only read the Quenta Silmarillion once (and need to read it at least two more times to really understand what's going on), and haven't completed any other books on Middle-Earth history, unless you count The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.  

Well there's the summary of my brain at the moment.  I don't have a specific plan for what I'll be posting, although I'm thinking about some book vs. movie reviews, which haven't been considered yet, and happen to be part of a topic I'm rather passionate about.  (What I'm really saying: If you'd left out that stupid kissing scene, you would've had time for that important plot point that the book had but you didn't!!).  Yeah.  Maybe I won't be doing reviews.  

Keep writing, and do your research.  Please.  It's a pet peeve of mine.  

~ Grace Weiser



No comments:

Post a Comment