Saturday, October 15, 2016

Typewriters and a J-Type Rant

Hi!  It's Grace.

So a while ago I posted about a typewriter, and since then, well, they have accumulated.  We now have maybe...eight?  Ten?  Something like that.  Anyway, we have a lot, all different styles, and all pretty cool.  Some of them work better than others, but my dad is slowly getting them to all function fairly well.

First of all, it's really weird having lots of typewriters in our house.  Mostly because before August, we had none.  Now we are overflowing with antiquated writing tools.  It's pretty awesome though, I mean, I'm a writer and history lover, and I'm surrounded by old things to write with!  How much cooler does that get?  They all feel slightly different, so I get to take my pick.

Now for the rant.  I recently learned that it is no longer standard practice to put two spaces after a period.  This makes me very angry.  First of all, as long as I can remember and as long as typing has been a thing, people have put two spaces after a period.  It helps point out that you're beginning a new sentence!  This is what I have always done, and I highly doubt I'll end unless it starts affecting my grades.  Faith, on the other hand, doesn't see anything wrong with the change.  I don't understand at all why something so small should be changed on a whim.  It really frustrates me.

Anyway, that's what this INFJ thinks.  I just hope there's someone out there who agrees with me.



2 comments:

  1. Lol! This post cracked me up. Both my brother and I are INFJ's and we have had long discussions in this area. Me? I don't do two spaces. It's what people did when using typewriters because typewriter spacing was sometimes a bit off, so they did it to emphasize. But now we use computers, so I don't see the point. My brother? He'd rather die than not do 2 spaces because he says it's traditional and thus correct. =D

    Anyway, this topic cracks me up. It's similar to the oxford comma. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a problem with the single space, because as far as I'm concerned, the punctuation (and following capital) mark the beginning of a new sentence. What other clues do you need?

    The oxford comma, on the other hand...that's law. Especially if your favorite pastimes are cleaning, cooking and raising your kids.

    ReplyDelete