Sunday, May 28, 2017

What I've Been Reading -- May 2017

YES!  IT IS HERE!  THE BOOK POST!
These will be happening at the end of each month.  It won't have ALL the books I've read each month, but two or three I pick out as either being my favorites, or the ones I'd like to talk about.  These books will probably not be current, I'm not doing anything like reviewing the hot new summer novels, or whatever.  This is just what I've been up to.  I'll put in my own opinions, and a quote or two from the book.  By all means use this list and my opinions when looking for something to read, or completely disregard it.  I don't care.

And that being said, let's get on with it!




East of Eden
John Steinbeck

I loved this book, and Steinbeck in general.  It follows the lives of a few families, and connects them all in an intricate web.  One of the reasons I like this author is because his characters are extremely true-to-life, and this book absolutely DOES NOT FAIL MY STANDARDS.  Forget Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath, this is my favorite Steinbeck book as of yet.  His wording and descriptions are beautiful, I never fail to get a perfect image of his world in my head, and every character has it's ups and downs.  In fact my favorite thing about this book is that it's often hard to tell which characters are "good" and which are "evil".  Seen through Steinbeck's starkly realist point of view, each one is well-developed, and each one makes good and bad decisions.  While it is on the longer side, I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone.

"Humans are caught -- in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, and in their kindness and generosity too -- in a net of good and evil.  I think this is the only story we have and that it occurs on all levels of feeling and intelligence.  Virtue and vice were warp and woof of our first consciousness, and they will be the fabric of our last, and this despite any chances we may impose of field and river and mountain, on economy and manners.  There is no other story.  A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil?  Have I done well -- or ill?"




The Picture of Dorian Gray
Oscar Wilde

This book wasn't bad.  I was fairly hesitant starting out, the book doesn't open in a particularly exciting way, but once you get past the first chapter or so things begin to pick up.  While the book as a whole isn't something I would read again, the character development was EXCELLENT, and without a doubt the best part of the whole thing.  Dorian Gray's character in particular was very well done, but his good friend wasn't neglected by any means.  In fact, I think his friend, Lord Henry, was a more interesting character than Dorian, despite Dorian being the one going through the greatest changes.  While I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone, if you enjoy Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters, you will probably want to add this one to your list.

"All I want to do now is look at life.  You may come and look at it with me, if you care to."

"One has a right to judge of a man by the effect he has over his friends."




All the Light We Cannot See
Anthony Doerr

This is the first book I've read in a while that's given me a solid book hangover.  I have a slight weakness for books set during WWII, but after reading this book I'm almost afraid to read others like it, in case this one spoiled me.  The author added a lot of science to the story -- one of the characters is interested in radio, the other in seashells -- but instead of bogging it down, it made the characters and the events so much more interesting, and added meaning to things about those characters that I never would have thought of on my own.  The structure of the book is unique as well, and something I did not expect at all.  The story almost works backwards.  That's the best I can do, it's incredibly hard to explain the layout of this book.  All I can say is it's magnificent.  I would recommend it to anyone, but be warned, you will feel things.

"Stones are just stones and rain is just rain and misfortune is just bad luck."

"He is being loyal.  He is being what everybody agrees is good.  And yet every time he wakes and buttons his tunic, he feels he is betraying something."

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."



So there you have it!  My three books from this month.  What have you been reading?  Let me know in the comments!  I'd also love your recommendations, if you want to give them to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment